Friday, July 27, 2007

I saved Harrison Street Coffee from burning down


Emaleigh and I got lunch at Harrison Street Coffee today. I had a tempeh artichoke sub and she had an egg salad sandwich. I have missed Harrison Street so much - there is no equivalent in Nashville. It's all vegetarian with unique recipies and when you order they ask if you'd like it vegan.
After we were done eating, we were sitting there talking and I noticed the reflection of fire in the drink cooler. I was confused at first, I thought maybe they were flame-broiling something in the back. It's not every day you see a raging fire. But after a minute it was still there, so we got up and looked and the stove in the kitchen was engulfed in flames. The staff was all sitting around a table in the front of the restaurant so they hadn't seen it. They rushed everybody out, grabbed fire extinguishers, and called the fire department. By the time the fire trucks got there, the fire was out, but there was still alot of smoke and everything. One of the girls who was working there offered us free coffee for seeing the fire.

So, yes, Harrison Street, even though your employees have been rude to me over the years, even though you were gruff and short with me, even though you gave me an attitude and made me feel like I wasn't cool enough to eat at your restaurant, even though I once went in with a girlfriend and on the ticket to tell the waitress where to bring our food (that I wasn't supposed to see) you wrote "guy with glasses and dyke in t-shirt," I still saved your restaurant from burning down.

No comments: